VMZINC and sustainable building
Throughout the world, the main aims of environmental quality in building approaches or guidelines are to:
- Reduce impacts on the exterior environment (reducing greenhouse gases, improving water and waste management, etc)
- Participate in the protection of natural resources
- Create a healthy and comfortable interior environment
The main ways in which VMZINC solutions contribute to the environmental performance of sustainable building:
|Environmental objective||Contribution of VMZINC products|
|1. The building blends harmoniously into its immediate environment||
- Varied range of aspects and colours (natural, preweathered QUARTZ-ZINC, ANTHRA-ZINC and PIGMENTO, and bilacquered).
- Large selection of roofing and facade systems.
|2. Integrated choice of building products, procedures and systems.||
- See Product Environmental Decloration.
- Sustainable, 100 % recyclable products Low level of energy consumption required for manufacturing zinc metal, no maintenance, easy to install and remove.
|3. Low level of nuisance caused by site work||
- Optimisation of site waste (low volume of waste, 100% recyclable).
- Low level of noise nuisance (fast, semi-industrialised installation).
- No air or water pollution.
- No water consumption.
|4. Energy management||- Total adaptability of VMZINC Systems to regulation on thermal requirements, Integrated thermal and photovoltaic solar systems|
|5. Water management||- Compatibility of VMZINC systems with solutions for re-utilisation of rainwater.|
|6. Waste management||- Very little waste but this can be recycled.|
|7. Maintenance management||- VMZINC requires almost no maintenance.|
|8. Acoustic comfort||- Non vented warm roofs improve noise reduction performance.|
Sustainable building reference guides (HQE approach, BREEAM, etc.) assess the contribution of building products to the environmental performance of buildings on the basis of quantitative results in terms of Life Cycle Analysis (LCA) (1) provided in Product Environmental Declarations (PED) (2) such as the French Fiches de Déclarations Environnementales et Sanitaires (FDES), the British BRE Environmental Profile, etc.
To rank VMZINC solutions in terms of sustainable building, Umicore Building Products has LCAs conducted for its products and publishes PEDs that comply with the standards of the various markets on which they are sold.
Numerous PEDs on our RWS systems and our roofing and facade systems are now available for download on our website.
The data provided on VMZINC systems in the PEDs reflects the main environmental advantages of rolled zinc or sustainable building:
- Sustainable (from 50 to 100 years depending on type of atmosphere) -BRE base EPD calculations on 80 years.
- Recyclable (over 95 % of old rolled zinc is recovered and re-used in various fields of application)
- Low energy consumption (consumption of energy required to manufacture zinc metal from mineral is lower than that required for any other metal used in building envelope applications). See energy section.
Eco Design - VMZINC’s environmental commitment to improve the environmental profile of its solutions, which since 2010 has been implemented via the deployment of an eco-design method in our process, now called “Eco-designed and developed” it is one of the specific features we can be proud of and which deserves to be highlighted today.
This is why we have launched a process of certification for our eco-design approach and the resulting eco-designed products, more specifically our QUARTZ-ZINC & ANTHRA-ZINC surface aspect. As a result of this process, we were awarded Footprint Progress® certification.