The use of zinc in ancient times has been proven with the discovery of jewellery and funeral urns in Greece and Egypt.
Ever since the 18th century, after developing an original production process, an imperial decree was granted to Jean-Jacques Dony to mine the zinc ore deposit at La Vieille Montagne, near Liège, in Belgium. The Société des Mines et Fonderies de Zinc de la Vieille Montagne was created in 1837.
1853: La Compagnie royale asturienne des mines were founded.
1922: First electrolysis in Viviez.
1975: Continuous casting in Auby.
1978: Vieille Montagne develops and sells ANTHRA-ZINC, first matt black pre-weathered zinc.
1980: Development of the line of roofing and cladding systems and additional services provided.
1987: La Compagnie royale asturienne des mines and la société Vieille Montagne merge to become Vieille Montagne France.
1993: Vieille Montagne France joins the Union Minière group and creates the brand name VMZINC.
1994: launch of a new light grey preweathered product: QUARTZ-ZINC.
1996: VMZINC PLUS for warm roof applications.
2001: Union Minière group becomes Umicore group.
2005: launch of the PIGMENTO line of coloured preweathered products.
2011: Liverpool Central Library the zinc roof, installed in 1879, is recyled and replaced with VMZ QUARTZ-ZINC-PLUS.
2017: VMZINC is acquired by the Fedrus International group.